Reactive & Adhoc Services – from June 2020
In June 2020, we were asked by a leading waste management company to provide ad-hoc services across multiple sites across the country with immediate effect. The account was being overseen by an account director for a Facilities Management company, who we have worked with extremely well on another contract and so immediately came to Expeditious for support.
The need was urgent due to waiting for new security systems to be installed onsite, as well as a rise in risk at each site due to changes in seasonal behaviour.
Number of locations covered: 12
Number of weekly hours: 960
Number of officers deployed: 30
Scope of services
- Manned guarding
- Risk assessment method statement development
- Critical Control Helpdesk
- Project Management
Our client’s challenges
Our client came to us with a complex requirement to provide nights and weekends manned guarding across 12 waste management sites spread across the country. This was estimated to be for 6 weeks, offering additional protection to the sites whilst waiting for upgraded CCTV and alarm systems.
As these sites are at high-risk of fire, particularly during the seasonal heatwave with increased use of disposable barbeques, the guards were needed to deliver fire-watch as part of their responsibilities. An additional challenge was the initial set-up of the contract as each site had its own specific requirements, and needs changed on an hourly basis throughout.
Our action plan
Based on the client’s requirements, Expeditious put into place:
- Manned guarding with additional fire-watch to cover nights and weekends across 12 waste management sites
- Produced risk assessment method statements
- Regular communications between CCHD and account management team to keep up-to-date with site changes as they occurred
- Project management from CCHD to manage hours, rosters and put guards into place
- All guards going through site specific inductions prior to placement
- Sharing online portal for Facilities Management company to view officer rosters
What we achieved
As a team, Expeditious achieved:
- A rapid response to mobilise the contract as quickly and efficiently as possible
- Placement of manned guarding on 80% of the sites within 2 hours.
- Remaining sites had cover placed ready for the following shift.
- Services mobilised at 12 UK wide sites
- Project management through CCHD to balance rosters and hours to guarantee optimal cover
- Resilience & flexibility to adapt to changing requirements during “out-of-hours”
- Creation of a regular team for each site for improved consistency of service, supported by site specific inductions
- Detected 2 fires within 1 week during August 2020 heatwave at Milton Keynes & Newstead sites.
Expeditious’ successful handling of this short-term contract led to the opportunity to tender for other works for the waste management client, through the Facilities Management company. We have since been requested to provide security on an on-going basis until further notice.
The detection of 2 fires within 1 week has been hugely commended by the client. Due to the location of the fires, time of year and time of day (1am and 4am), they could have very easily and quickly spread to become a blaze and cause a serious amount of damage.
Expeditious will be reviewing all sites and carrying out comprehensive security audits to suggest technological opportunities to further reduce risk and manpower, whilst saving money and adding value.
What the client had to say
“Expeditious responded very quickly to our requirements and our client has been impressed with the level of service provided” – Account Director, Facilities Management.
You can find more information about our Reactive Services on our website.